Lucy and I started the cake on Friday night, and worked until the wee hours of the morning. You'd think, after how many birthday cakes, we'd be speedy. Nope! It always takes longer than we anticipate. I had a vision in my head, but wasn't sure how it was going to come out. We had never worked with fondant before so I wasn't sure how that would go. Jon gave us a huge pan, that took 6 cake mixes to fill (yes, SIX!). I ran out of eggs while attempting to bake the cake (Lucy brought some).
We frosted the cake in buttercream, courtesy of the bagel shop and then added the grass, with an awesome grass tip (who knew?).
Next came the fondant. It was white and we needed it to be black. We added the dye and kneaded and rolled until we finally got black. Fondant was super fun to work with and much easier to manipulate.
The finished product! We had enough cake to feed an army! For our first time, I don't think it turned out half bad.
Since the party was at the soccer center, I wasn't able to go wild and crazy with decorations and such, BUT, I still managed to throw in a few things I made here and there!
The birthday boy, enjoying his day! He had a ball (literally) running around!
Nicolette had a lot of fun too!
The lighting on the field was awful, but I still got a few pics!
It was a great day! And, MUCH easier than having the party at home!
No comments:
Post a Comment